Re: Handling problems with patches after the patch is pushed

From: Trevor
Subject: Re: Handling problems with patches after the patch is pushed
Date: Sun, 17 May 2020 21:10:24 +0000

Carl Sorensen wrote 17/05/2020 18:32:27

I've been verifying issues from 2.21.1.

This has raised a need for clarification about how we handle issues
once they have been pushed.

It seems to me that there are at least two possibilities for how this
should be handled.

1) Once an issue is accepted and pushed, if there are problems
resulting from the issue, a new issue should be created.  This lets
the original issue stand as fixed.

2) Once an issue is accepted and pushed, if there are problems
resulting from the issue, the patch should be reverted, the issue
should be reopened, and the comments should be added to the issue
discussion.
I definitely prefer (1). I think (2) would potentially run into a variety of
further problems, and would make for a confusing trail if it needed
to be followed later. Maybe a comment and pointer could be added
to the first issue to indicate the continuation of the fix.

Trevor