Re: Obstacles for using GitLab CI

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Obstacles for using GitLab CI
Date: Thu, 14 May 2020 08:20:02 +0200

Am Mittwoch, den 13.05.2020, 22:33 -0400 schrieb Dan Eble:

> > > No, you're probably right. It's only a bit more bothersome if you
> > > have
> > > multiple changes to submit from the same countdown.
> >
> > The real problem starts when people don't manage to get their patch
> > in
> > because the pipeline is always busy.  But if we are there, the free
> > CI
> > plan will most certainly not do the trick anymore.
>
> One thing is clear: we need to make sure we don't abuse James'
> generosity, so I'm willing to try whatever system you think will be
> the fairest all around, even if it might be a bit "bothersome" as an
> individual submitter from time to time.

That's true.
But I'd like to disencourage (can you say that?) using our small
contribution frequency as an argument here. Making it easier to
contribute and as a consequence have more contribution was a major
motivation behind all this. So while we'll surely never get to a Linux
kernel situation having a solution that scales to some activity
substantially increased from what we have now should be a requirement.

Urs