Re: Annoying 'langdefs.py' warning

From: Jean-Charles Malahieude
Subject: Re: Annoying 'langdefs.py' warning
Date: Thu, 7 May 2020 19:36:01 +0200

Le 26/04/2020 à 09:46, Jonas Hahnfeld a écrit :
Am Samstag, den 25.04.2020, 21:53 +0200 schrieb Francisco Vila:
El 24/4/20 a las 17:18, Jonas Hahnfeld escribió:
However I'm pretty sure that many translations in the latter are dead:
As far as I understand we don't translate the docs by putting the
strings in Documentation/po, but rather by copying the files and
translating them below Documentation/lang.

Documentation/po/'lang'.po used to work as a way to get comments in
verbatim code translated. In a certain point of time it stopped working.
This is what I'd like to see improved.

My patch leaves all the infrastructure and existing translations in
place if somebody (not me) wants to make this work again. However
please keep in mind that translating snippets will render 'make doc'
even slower because it has to compile them for every language instead
of once.

Thanks for letting the infra in place.

If you read AU 3.3, you'll see:
"If you would like to translate comments and variable names in verbatim output but not in the sources, you may set the environment variable LYDOC_LOCALEDIR to a directory path; the directory should contain a tree of ‘.mo’ message catalogs with lilypond-doc as a domain."

So to say, the snippet is not generated multiple times. Only the verbatim part gets rendered in the language specified in the header of the .*texi/.*tely file. And it worked smoothly until some day during the year 2010 (I've got an OK 2.13.1 tarball of the docs dated 2009/05/01, a KO 2.13.45 from 2011/01/03 and the 2.12.3 (2010/01/13) on the download site is OK).

Still, translations for the
footer in HTML pages appear to be used (like "Other languages:" and
"About automatic language selection"). Whoever is interested in
improving this situation is more than welcome!

Any improvements here should not prevent anyone of seeing every page in
all other languages if he wants to, I think.

Agreed, that should stay the way it is. Actually I wanted to express
that just deleting the files would break existing functionality that is
actually useful to have.

What makes me wonder is that "texidoc" end "doctitle" are honored as opposed to the "gettextification" (even when forcing a full path for LYDOC_LOCALEDIR in my .bashrc end commenting out the line in make/lilypond-vars.make). It might be a side effect from Reinhold's patches from June 2010 that makes LYDOC_LOCALEDIR not honored.

I'll try to build a test case tomorrow.

Cheers,
--
Jean-Charles