Re: Almost, but not quite: C++ STL in LilyPond

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Almost, but not quite: C++ STL in LilyPond
Date: Wed, 6 May 2020 00:41:23 +0000

On 5/5/20, 4:04 PM, "lilypond-devel on behalf of David Kastrup"
<lilypond-devel-bounces+c_sorensen=address@hidden on behalf of address@hidden>
wrote:

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

<snip>

If everything can be represented/mapped in similar manner, the Scheme
garbage collector does not need any interaction with user-written code
for doing its job.

And I really think that's where we want to go in order to get memory
semantics and behavior that are "Guile orthodox" to a degree that we'll
get more attention for problems we are experiencing than what we have
been working with so far.

CS-> In my opinion, this outcome is worth a lot for our project.  We've had
lots of garbage-collection-related errors as we have moved to new versions of
Guile.  And the Guile people (reasonably enough from their point of view) say
they can't help us, because our system is too complex.

CS -> If we can get "Guile orthodox" on our memory semantics, we'll have much
lower barriers to getting help from the Guile crew, IMO.

Carl