Re: Data structure for (package) options

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: Data structure for (package) options
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2020 09:26:02 +0100

On Mon, Jan 27, 2020 at 11:39 PM Urs Liska <address@hidden> wrote:

> I didn't have time to really think about much (about LilyPond) the past
> week, just enjoyed seeing so much constructive discussion.
> [..]

I haven't read your messages in detail, but I'd like to throw out one
thought to consider: we use GUILE modules as a mechanism for
identifier namespacing (\paper, \header all create modules). I think
it might be useful if we could provide a LilyPond native mechanism for
packaging that declares a namespace implicitly, eg.

  \module "edition" {
      internal = ...
      addTweak  = ...
  }

  \import edition.addTweak

that would let you define constructs in a package that doesn't pollute
the global namespace, and let .ly packages control explicitly what
symbols they want to use.

I think we should aim to avoid textual inclusion as a mechanism that
powers packaging.