lilypond-book-preamble and cropping

From: Urs Liska
Subject: lilypond-book-preamble and cropping
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2019 08:33:09 +0000

I'm not sure if this is actually a *development* request or if it could also be
solved at the "user" level.

As Werner showed in https://github.com/jperon/lyluatex/issues/268
(https://github.com/jperon/lyluatex/issues/268) there is an issue with the
output of scores compiled with `lilypond-book-preamble.ly`. AFAICT this is
something inherent in the lilypond-book handling which should also be visible
in any lilypond-book scores.

When compiling with lilypond-book-preamble the score gets sliced in systems,
and each system is *additionally cropped*. I have never understood the commands
in that file so I don't know in what order these things happen, I don't even
know if that lack of the concept of a "page" (we only have a sequence of
systems now) affects the actual layout process.

Of course you will often want to have the cropped systems, essentially when
including single systems in a text document, or at the top or the bottom of
pages. However, when stacking the resulting systems this means that the space
between systems is inconsistent and generally too narrow. This can sometimes be
alleviated by adding space between the systems, but sometimes this doesn't
help. As Werner's example images in the issue report linked above show: when a
system has much additional stuff above or below (e.g. marks, text or just
legder lines) this significantly disturbes the vertical spacing.

What I would need to achieve - either by providing some modification of
lilypond-book-preamble or as a feature request to be added to LilyPond - is a
compilation mode that behaves like lilypond-book-preamble *without the vertical
cropping* (but with horizontal cropping). Alternatively (maybe even better)
would be writing an additional aux file stating the amount of space cropped, at
least at the top and bottom but maybe for all four sides. Or the original image
size before cropping. Anything that can be used to infer the space one should
add before and after the system to rebuild LilyPond's original page layout.

Any ideas?
Thanks
Urs