Re: Patchy email

From: James
Subject: Re: Patchy email
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2019 10:46:47 +0100

Hello,

On 27/07/2019 10:10, David Kastrup wrote:
James <address@hidden> writes:

On 26/07/2019 19:36, David Kastrup wrote:
I run Patchy when I notice something went to staging.  Due to its cost,
I tend to abort it when I discover someone else pushing before me.

So it would appear that your repository (and probably that of Knut) have
a local master branch which would mask that the patch in question does
not produce output relative to the origin repository and thus produces
stuff that is not reducible.  A local master branch tends to be a bad
idea (though not as bad as a local staging branch) since you don't want
to collect changes of your own on it.
However the patchy scripts set up a local master

e.g. If I manually delete my local master and then run the patchy scripts:

Branch 'master' set up to track remote branch 'master' from 'origin'.
Switched to a new branch 'master'
(or is that not what you are talking about?)
It is, but that does not happen in my repository when running
lilypond-patchy-staging.py .  Since there is no point in maintaining a
local master potentially differing from upstream in the testing scripts,
I wonder what script would be responsible here.

I don't think it is any script per se, I used to use Lily-git (which fetches master and staging and sets up dev/local_working.

So I've always had a local master.

Also, I test patches against current master (not staging) so I'd need a local master then too right?

i.e

checkout master, run make, make test-basline, apply patch etc etc.

My workflow is that I always make sure that dev/local_working (where I
do my own changes before creating patches), local staging and local
master are always 'in sync' before I run patchy and that staging is
cleaned.

It's no different than what I have always done.

So I wonder why the tests passed and my own patchy merge passed but
yours failed?
My patchy-staging test does not create a local master and I don't
maintain one of my own.  I wonder why it would be different from yours.

I don't run a script to test patches - the script 'broke' when we moved from Google to Sourceforge, so I just test patches 'manually' (out of tree) but I do make sure my local master is reset 'hard' (so to speak) before I test things.

Patchy-merge scripts are the ones I have always used

and it creates a 'lock' branch test-master-lock (I think as a kind of simple failsafe if a user ends up running two or more instances or a previous instance failed to complete or clean up properly).

I use the script from lilypond-extra/patches/(compile_lilypond_test).

James