Re: Colored box behind a single note

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Colored box behind a single note
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2019 22:54:15 +0200

Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> writes:

>>> If someone is going to rewrite the algorithm, the order of events
>>> should be obeyed.
>>
>> For simultaneous events, LilyPond has no order.
>
> Oh.  This means that
>
>   c'\startGroup\stopGroup
>
> and
>
>   c'\stopGroup\startGroup
>
> can't be reliably distinguished?

Not completely.  In particular, some engravers might get to see the
\startGroup before other engravers see the \stopGroup.  Also things like
\startGroup and \stopGroup are quite likely to be placed in a separate
music variable that is being combined using parallel music.  So while
there is a typical order of events, it's not a guaranteed one.

>> That's why one needs to have one phase for recording events and
>> another for doing something based on them.
>
> Hmm.  I got the impression that `listen_note_grouping' is this
> recording-events phase.

I'd have to take a closer look.  So far, I've mostly did code review by
reflex, just knowing what kind of trouble LilyPond is prone to cause.

>> Maybe the infamous issue 34 could be tackled as part of that
>> mechanism?  Not sure about that.
>
> It would be nice if we find a solution for that.

You bet.

--
David Kastrup