Re: stem.cc - issue 5303 - misplaced notehead (issue 570830043 by addres

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: stem.cc - issue 5303 - misplaced notehead (issue 570830043 by address@hidden)
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2019 19:02:31 +0000

On 7/11/19, 11:49 AM, "Lukas-Fabian Moser" <address@hidden on behalf of
address@hidden> wrote:

    Hi Carl,

    > Perhaps this patch should also revert
    > 87eb2f9fe1be3a532675fe4b7322bbba5a60ba5c
    >
    > since that patch was a workaround, rather than a real fix, as
    > demonstrated during this troubleshooting thread.
    >
    > Carl
    >

    > https://codereview.appspot.com/570830043/

    I'm afraid I do not understand the connection between the
    overdone-notehead patch you refer to and the rounding-issue patch
    regarding chord-notehead-placing. They do not seem to be linked to me.

    But I noticed that your old patch 87eb2f9fe, which was supposed to fix
    issue https://sourceforge.net/p/testlilyissues/issues/4693/, seems to
    only fix that issue at "normal" staff sizes. See for instance:

    \version "2.18"

    #(set-global-staff-size 90)

    \layout {
       \override Score.StaffSymbol.layer = 100
    }

    \new Voice \with {
       \override NoteHead.color = #red
       } {
       \relative {
         f'4 a c e \bar "|."
       }
    }

This can never work properly, because overdone-noteheads is a metafont
parameter used in the creation of the feta noteheads.  LilyPond creates feta in
only a few sizes: 11, 13, 14, 16, 18, 20, 23, and 26.  All other staff sizes
are scaled from these fonts.  And remember that the staff-space/staff-line
ratio varies with staff sizes, so the scaled notehead sizes will be
approximately, but not exactly, correct.

When scaling to sizes outsize the range of the generated fonts, the user is
likely to be required to override the NoteHead.font-size property to get the
noteheads to fit exactly.

I would consider this patch to be appropriate if it worked correctly for all
the given feta font staff sizes.  And my testing indicates that it does.

    (And, for the record, 87eb2f9fe introduced
    https://sourceforge.net/p/testlilyissues/issues/5530/, as Malte reminded
    us.)
    o   be
    So it seems to me that that patch should probably be reconsidered, but I
    think not without being related to issues 5303/5522 (which are what the
    current patch is about).

I had assumed (without checking) that resolving the stem rounding problem in
5303/5522 would solve the problem in 5530, because Harm showed us[1] that
slightly reducing the notehead size would solve the problem of the slur
spacing.  If it doesn't solve the problem then something else needs to be done
with 5530.  But I can't solve it, because 5530 doesn't manifest itself on my
system, as I mentioned earlier.

Thanks,

Carl

1. https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2019-06/msg00170.html