Re: macOS 64-bit

From: Marnen Laibow-Koser
Subject: Re: macOS 64-bit
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2019 10:43:30 -0400

On Mon, Jul 8, 2019 at 10:38 AM Karlin High <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 7/8/2019 8:30 AM, Marnen Laibow-Koser wrote:
> > I’ve also been reading about osxcross, which looks like it *might* do
> 64-bit builds now, though I can’t be sure from the available info.
>
> <https://github.com/tpoechtrager/osxcross#packaging-the-sdk>
> "Please ensure you have read and understood the Xcode license terms
> before continuing."
>
> Anything that says "Download XCode, dissect like so, copy this one piece
> to your Linux system somewhere..." is likely a violation of Apple's
> XCode Software License Agreement.
>
> UNLESS the Linux is running in a Virtual Machine on Apple hardware.

Thanks, I’m well aware of the licensing issues, and they’ve already been
discussed in this thread.  I have no intention of doing anything that
breaks any license agreements.

> Which MacStadium apparently can provide, with Mac Mini rental computers.
> (aka "in the cloud.")
>
> If this effort was completed, it sounds to me like non-Mac builds could
> continue as normal. Then MacStadium gets used to produce the Mac builds.

Exactly.  But why are we rehashing all this now?

> Automation would be possible, with Travis or Cirrus. (About which I know
> nothing but the names.)

Then maybe go look up what they are?

> My question here is, will this arrangement be satisfactory for the
> people running the LilyPond build system? Phil Holmes? Anyone?
>
> If not satisfactory, what would you like to see instead?

Right now, I personally am most worried about getting a usable native
64-bit Mac build.  I’d *like* it to integrate with the existing build
system, but I don’t think that will be possible unless Apple changes its
license agreements, or unless we can run GUB on a Mac (which I seem to
recall hearing would likely be difficult and not a good use of our effort
right now).

> --
> Karlin High
> Missouri, USA