Re: stack smashing detected

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: stack smashing detected
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2019 18:54:10 +0200

Am Do., 25. Apr. 2019 um 16:45 Uhr schrieb David Kastrup <address@hidden>:

> Thomas Morley <address@hidden> writes:

> > Background: I'm exploring whether it would be feasable to draw higher
> > order bezier-curves, splitting them in cubic ones.
>
> That's not overly useful: higher order bezier curves are higher-order
> polynomials and tend to have quite less affinity to their control points
> than cubic beziers have.

Yeah, I noticed.

> When splicing them together, the boundary
> conditions prescribe more continuous derivatives than human drawing
> would care for.  So usually your goals would be better served by
> allowing _multiple_ cubic beziers in a row with suitable continuity of
> derivatives (and thus some aspects of the control points) provided
> automagically.  Metafont is an ingenious engine for specifying this sort
> of thing, so studying it is likely a good idea.
>
> I have an old copy of the Metafont Book flying around here that I
> haven't touched in years.  I could send it to you if you want to get
> ideas.  It's better than some PDF on a computer and, well, legal too.

This whole thing started as an attempt to increase my knowledge about
beziers in general.
I feel already having some success in better understanding beziers, consulting:
 - for all:
https://pomax.github.io/bezierinfo/
- A practical example of Catmull-Rom <-> Bezier conversion
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/30419726/simplify-high-order-bezier-curve
- Some guile code here:
guile-gnome/gtk/examples/metaspline.scm

Many thanks for the offer about the Metafont Book, I'll probably
(likely) come back to it.
For now I'll continue on the described route, looking how far I get.
At least I expect increasing knowledge of such curves...

Thanks,
  Harm