Re: Charles Winston's chord-semantics GSOC work

From: Flaming Hakama by Elaine
Subject: Re: Charles Winston's chord-semantics GSOC work
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2019 15:26:10 -0700

On Tue, Apr 9, 2019 at 2:11 PM Dan Eble <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Apr 9, 2019, at 10:43, Carl Sorensen <address@hidden> wrote:
> > majorSevenSymbol, but since it can be set, in can be unset.  And if it
> is unset, we should not produce nothing, because then c:7+ will display as
> C7, which is the same as c:7.  I don't think the display needs to be
> sensible, but it needs to be something different from C7.
> >
> > I value your input and I'd like to do something that is recognizable as
> insane in response to insane input.
>
> Insanity sounds like a job for emoji!
>
> But seriously, it would be unreasonable to demand that you do more in this
> patch than match the legacy behavior in this case.  If it can be improved
> at all, it can be improved separately.
>
> Regards,
>
> Dan

Sorry if I didn't understand this context well enough.

So, because we can set the majorSevenSymbol, therefore we must be able to
unset it?
I'm not sure I follow that logic, unless that comes part and parcel with
canonical set/unset behavior.

However, if I understand what is being proposed, if the user "unsets" it,
we apparently are going to require that it be set to something anyway ("#")?
If so, that doesn't seem like we're really "unsetting" it, but rather going
with a default.

In which case, I'm not sure why a bizarre default is better than a
reasonable default.

Also, if the user does choose to unset it (or set it to an empty string),
then aren't they saying that they want C7 and Cmaj7 to both say "C7"?
While I agree that that is a bizarre request, it seems like that is what
they would want, given that that's what they specified.

Where does the requirement come from that dominant 7 and major 7 chords
need to have different chord symbols?  Shouldn't the regtest just validate
that each chord flavor's symbol match what it is asked to show, regardless
of whether they are the same or different from each other?

Thanks,

Elaine Alt
415 . 341 .4954                                           "*Confusion is
highly underrated*"
address@hidden
Producer ~ Composer ~ Instrumentalist ~ Educator