Re: NR 2.1 Vocal music

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: NR 2.1 Vocal music
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2010 21:48:51 +0100

On Sun, Aug 29, 2010 at 07:09:01PM +0100, Trevor Daniels wrote:

> Graham Percival wrote Friday, August 27, 2010 9:54 PM
>
> >I know you didn't say to look at NR 2.1.1, but I noticed that you
> >used
> >"Common references for vocal music" instead of the standard
> >"References for vocal music".
>
> Yes, this was because there are specific references later.
> But I don't feel too strongly about this if you'd really
> rather it conform.

I'd rather make it conform; later ones can simply be "References
for hymns" and the like.

> >I'd
> >actually say that 2.1.2 is the only subsection which is common to
> >"all" types of vocal music.
>
> I think we need to reorganise the first few sections
> of Vocal a little.
>
> I suggest the following:
>
> 2.1 Vocal music
> 2.1.1 Common notation for vocal music
>        (Common) references for vocal music
>        Entering lyrics (the present Lyrics explained)
>        [all the sections in Aligning lyrics to a melody
>         except for Lyrics and repeats]
> 2.1.2 Techniques specific to lyrics
>         [as now, plus:]
>         Working with lyrics and variables
>         Lyrics and repeats

I like it.  You have slightly more inside 2.1.1 than I would have
initially guessed, but I've always proclaimed my ignorance of
lyrics.  If you're content with that change, then I'm happy.

> And it removes the problem
> of referencing sections by number.

That's my biggest concern, so it seems like everything (will be)
in order.

Cheers,
- Graham