[Lilypond-auto] [LilyIssues-auto] [testlilyissues:issues] #5788 New Fren

From: Auto mailings of changes to Lily Issues via Testlilyissues-auto
Subject: [Lilypond-auto] [LilyIssues-auto] [testlilyissues:issues] #5788 New French Beamimg Approach
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2020 20:10:44 -0000

Passes make, make check and a full make doc - comments on Rietveld

Reg test diffs attached

Attachments:

[issues:#5788] New French Beamimg Approach

Created: Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:39 AM UTC by Torsten Hämmerle
Last Updated: Thu Feb 27, 2020 07:40 PM UTC
Owner: Torsten Hämmerle
Attachments:

https://codereview.appspot.com/557500043

Completely new approach to French beaming

This will automatically tackle all kinds of not-yet resolved positioning problems caused by the current French beaming implementation.

As this is quite a radical and complete re-design of the LilyPond's current French beaming approach, I've decided to open up this issue because a general French beaming overhaul can not be associated with individual bug-related issues.

Basic Idea (Hypothesis)

The only difference between standard and French beaming should be that French "inner group" stems will not pass through all the beams. That's all! It's as easy as this!
Unfortunately, all that Elaine Gould has to say about French beaming is: "don't do it!".

Current Implementation

The current approach to generally shorten French stems from the very beginning causes many follow-up positioning problems that have to be remedied later-on in many different places by neutralizing this deviation somehow.
Tuplet numbers (w/o tuplet bracktes) have already been dealt with, but many other problems stil remain.
I'll attach an Old French Beaming Comparison PDF demonstrating a full-range test of all kinds of French beaming cases produced by the current implementation (2.19.84, but the output is identical to 2.20 and current 2.21). They are erroneous (i.e. deviating from standard beaming) in most of the cases - please have a look!
Standard and French beaming side-by-side so that all the deviations can easily be spotted.

New Approach

Prerequisite: a new stem-interface property "french-correction" (pun intended).

After uploading my patch to Rietveld, I'll attach another PDF, showing how the new French beaming functionality will deal with all these cases.

Cheers,
Torsten

PS: New French Beaming Comparison PDF attached.

Sent from sourceforge.net because address@hidden is subscribed to https://sourceforge.net/p/testlilyissues/issues/