[Lilypond-auto] [LilyIssues-auto] [testlilyissues:issues] #4952 Clearify

From: Auto mailings of changes to Lily Issues
Subject: [Lilypond-auto] [LilyIssues-auto] [testlilyissues:issues] #4952 Clearify ending of hairpins at bar line in NR
Date: Sun, 07 Aug 2016 10:09:47 +0000

Diff:

Was reported here:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-lilypond/2016-08/msg00001.html

Hello everyone,

Regarding the termination of hairpins (cresc. & decresc.): I was
transcribing a piece of music and could't figure out why my hairpin would
terminate to the right of the previous note instead of the note I attached
"!" to. Turns out it was because Lilypond tries to prevent ending hairpins
on a downbeat.

Apparently this is intended behaviour (though I mostly find it annoying),
but it makes the information provided here faulty:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/notation/expressive-marks-attached-to-notes#dynamics

The sentence "A hairpin that is terminated with ! will end at the right
edge of the note that has the ! assigned to it." is false or at best
incomplete: the condition of the downbeat is not mentioned until the
"Selected snippets" much lower on the page. This caused me to search around
for half an hour to find out why my hairpin was not ending where I wanted
it, since I didn't expect this information to be under "Selected snippets".

Best,

Bas.

[issues:#4952] Clearify ending of hairpins at bar line in NR

Created: Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:04 AM UTC by Thomas Morley
Last Updated: Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:04 AM UTC
Owner: Thomas Morley

Clearify ending of hairpins at bar line in NR

http://codereview.appspot.com/301550043

Sent from sourceforge.net because address@hidden is subscribed to https://sourceforge.net/p/testlilyissues/issues/