[Lilypond-auto] [LilyIssues-auto] [testlilyissues:issues] #3945 warning

From: Auto mailings of changes to Lily Issues
Subject: [Lilypond-auto] [LilyIssues-auto] [testlilyissues:issues] #3945 warning about starting volume in MIDI and possible workarounds
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2016 07:39:24 +0000

Patch on countdown for June 12th.

[issues:#3945] warning about starting volume in MIDI and possible workarounds

Created: Sat Jun 07, 2014 02:38 AM UTC by Anonymous
Last Updated: Tue Jun 07, 2016 05:20 AM UTC
Owner: Dan Eble

Originally created by: *anonymous

Originally created by: address@hidden

Reported by Harm:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-lilypond/2014-05/msg00034.html

Refering to a discussion on the user list, especially:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2014-05/msg00425.html
I'd like to report some bugs/enhancements.

First:
the following gives a warning with midi:

  \score {
      { c'1\> c' c'\! }
      \midi { }
  }

--> (De)crescendo with unspecified starting volume in MIDI.

Though

  \score {
      { c'1 c'\> c' c'\! }
      \midi { }
  }

does not warn. From a _musical_ point of view I can see no difference
in the starting volume.

Second:
In order to avoid the midi-warning a workaround would be to specify
the starting volume explicitly and hide or omit the
DynamicText.stencil.

   { c'1-\hide\mf\> c' c'\! }
   { c'1-\omit\mf\> c' c'\! }

Though, the Hairpin will start at the right of the now
invisible/non-existent DynamicText [#4837].
I'd think "... the code for typesetting the hairpin should
explicitly check for an _omitted_ stencil (one being #f) and in that
case revert to the anchorless behavior", as David K pointed out.

Third:
According to \omit a shortcut for setting the stencil to point-stencil
may be quite handy.

Sent from sourceforge.net because address@hidden is subscribed to https://sourceforge.net/p/testlilyissues/issues/