[Lilypond-auto] [LilyIssues-auto] [testlilyissues:issues] Re: #4582 Docu

From: Auto mailings of changes to Lily Issues
Subject: [Lilypond-auto] [LilyIssues-auto] [testlilyissues:issues] Re: #4582 Document tweaking of StaffSymbol and LedgerLineSpanner
Date: Sun, 03 Jan 2016 09:33:33 +0000

That's a terrible reason to verify. The commit being in the repository just means that it was present at some point in the last three months in any branch. That's not verification.

However,

git log release/2.19.34-1..b6e323a2f6fdac2266a659acf6da008957f0c936

returns without either output or error, so the commit is indeed part of the tagged release. What did you try that failed to find the commit?

[issues:#4582] Document tweaking of StaffSymbol and LedgerLineSpanner

Labels: FIxed_2_19_34
Created: Sun Aug 30, 2015 09:06 PM UTC by Simon Albrecht
Last Updated: Sun Jan 03, 2016 09:20 AM UTC
Owner: nobody

It regularly causes confusion that individual ledger line stacks can’t simply be tweaked. I think this should be documented better, but it isn’t easy to find the right place for that. I’d suggest the following:

In LM 4.1.2 http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/learning/objects-and-interfaces, at the end of the fourth paragraph, (i.e. in Documentation/learning/tweaks.itely, at the end of line 108) insert
"Spanners cannot be tweaked after their creation. This includes @code{StaffSymbol} and @code{LedgerLineSpanner}, which both continue throughout the score except if they are terminated by @code{\stopStaff} and newly created using @code{\startStaff}."

Although perhaps the last half-sentence should be replaced by a reference to a more detailed explanation (necessary anyway), e.g. in NR 5.3.1 http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/overview-of-modifying-properties (or elsewhere in 5.3).

Another theoretical possibility, which I would deem most helpful to users who encounter the problem, would be a remark at the top of the IR page for LedgerLineSpanner. But unfortunately (?) that would require major changes in the build system, IIUC.

Should we mark this BLOCKEDON: Issue [#3949]?

Sent from sourceforge.net because address@hidden is subscribed to https://sourceforge.net/p/testlilyissues/issues/