Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 4567 in lilypond: Multi-measure rests don't pl

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 4567 in lilypond: Multi-measure rests don't play nicely with \partial
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2015 20:35:00 +0000

Comment #7 on issue 4567 by tdanielsmusic: Multi-measure rests don't play nicely with \partial

Looking at the working example, if we remove the explicit bar command you're right, no bar line is drawn, but that's not relevant as it's nothing to do with having a zero partial. Try non-zero values (of course adding notes to match): no bar line is drawn. That's actually correct, as no bar ends at that point. Mats inserted a section end line here, not a bar line, which seems correct to me.

The fault which I've noted here is not that. The fault is to do with starting a new section at a point other than the end of a bar when that new section begins with a MM rest. These necessarily require the new section to begin at the start of a (new) bar. Using \partial with a zero argument _only_ fails when the first bar contains a MM rest, so it is incorrect to say a zero argument _cannot_ be used - it often can, and it does the right thing. And it seems perfectly sensible to say that this new section, unlike the previous one, begins on the beat by using \partial with a zero duration. Furthermore, leaving out \partial at this point generates the warning "warning: mid-measure time signature without \partial", inviting you to use \partial.

Now using
\set Timing.measurePosition = #(ly:make-moment 0)
works correctly even when the new section begins with a MM rest, so the question is, why cannot \partial with a zero argument issue this command or do the equivalent? That is the point of this issue. The question of documentation doesn't arise until that point has been addressed. Otherwise we're sweeping the issue under the carpet. If it's too difficult to do, then fine - we document it (although more explicitly than your draft) but until then this issue remains a defect.