Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 1000 in lilypond: communicate with upstream te

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 1000 in lilypond: communicate with upstream texi2html project
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2015 15:12:39 +0000

Comment #20 on issue 1000 by address@hidden: communicate with upstream texi2html project

Here's some recent comments I made on lilypond-devel https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2015-07/msg00036.html :

If somebody has basic knowledge of perl (which isn't hard to acquire) and texinfo (essentially just knowing it's a doc format with @commands), and is good at diagnosing and communicating problems, then I would cautiously estimate 20 hours for this task. 10 hours of investigation and rewriting by oneself, plus another 10 hours of creating minimal examples, sending them to the texinfo list to ask for help, then integrating the solutions into the updated thing.

This could very feasibly be done by somebody new to lilypond development.

oh, two slight snags:
1) once it was updated to the new texinfo, our build scripts will probably need some slight adjustment. That is not do-able by somebody new to lilypond, but I'd estimate 1 hour from a current lilypond developer to get that done.

2) it is possible (or even likely) that texinfo will need to be changed in order for us to do what we want. I'm certain that if somebody has a minimal example of the problem, and a compelling justification for why we want to achieve the desired output, the texinfo people will be happy to add whatever features or bugfixes are required in texinfo. But this *would* add another delay for being able to build lilypond on a stock distribution with texinfo 5.x.