Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 1133 in lilypond: Long TextScripts and Marks d

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 1133 in lilypond: Long TextScripts and Marks don't behave well with line breaks
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 2015 19:44:07 +0000

Comment #6 on issue 1133 by address@hidden: Long TextScripts and Marks don't behave well with line breaks

I skimmed the first editions of Mahler's 1st and 2nd Symphonies for examples, referenced by SYMPHONY,movement,rehearsal mark. / for system break, // for page break:

Generally system breaks within text indications are avoided by clever system-breaking, shifting to the left or using two or three (text) lines:
- I,3,16 (offset)
- I,1,39-43 (clever breaking)
- II,1,around 7 (text line breaks)
- II,1,17 (dito)
- II,2,11 (dito)

Breaking at page turn should be a no go (I,4,28), although even that occurs: I,1,25.

Breaks are to be found
- I,1,before 17: { Von hier an wird das Tempo bis zum Zeichen * in / _sehr_ allmählicher unmerklicher Steigerung belebt. }
- I,1,after 19: { Ganz _unmerklich_ // etwas zurückhalten. }
- I,4,after 49: { Allmählich (unmerklich) etwas // zurückhaltend }
- II,5,30: { Più mosso. / Quasi Allegro }

I may resume: System breaks within text indications are avoided, but not at a high cost. Since avoiding them is so involved, I think it would be great to support and use these breaks.