Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 4302 in lilypond: NullVoice and Ambitus crash

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 4302 in lilypond: NullVoice and Ambitus crash
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2015 16:15:31 +0000

Updates:

Comment #1 on issue 4302 by address@hidden: NullVoice and Ambitus crash

The bug report is
  \score {
    % \new Staff  % was implicitly created before version 2.19.13
        \new NullVoice \relative { c' d e f g1 }
    \layout {
      \context { \Voice \consists "Ambitus_engraver" } } }

The fix to issue 3834 issue 3825 and issue 3734 added
  \context { \Score \accepts "NullVoice" }
which lets NullVoice exist at the score level without implicit creation of a staff. An explicit Staff avoids the crash.

Before version 2.19.13 we had instructions to put NullVoice inside a Staff
"The @code{NullVoice} context must be placed within a @code{Staff} context and contain notes that are already being displayed in that staff and that are also in the same octave."

Then we solved the remaining problems with NullVoice on the Staff with issue 4093, so we have choices :

1) make the layout engine robust to attempts to print ambitus outside any staff 2) have NullVoice create a Staff by default with \context {\Score \denies "NullVoice" }