Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 4387 in lilypond: Patch: Let \relative work on

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 4387 in lilypond: Patch: Let \relative work on \transpose content as if it were untransposed
Date: Sat, 16 May 2015 17:59:55 +0000

Updates:
        Cc: address@hidden

Comment #10 on issue 4387 by address@hidden: Patch: Let \relative work on \transpose content as if it were untransposed

This is sort of a use case.  I mean, there must be _some_ reason this
has been a topic sometimes.

Searching the -user mailing lists for \relative \transpose, I found the question come up twice
  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2012-02/msg00657.html
  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2009-05/msg00280.html
where the behavior of \relative in the patch above would have worked better for these users.

Federico asked for explanation of the meaning of the documentation about how \relative skips over \transpose now, so he could translate it.
  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2012-01/msg00021.html

So the suggestion at the head of this issue is a good one. LilyPond would be easier to use with
 \relative c' { c4 a c e \transpose c f {c a c e} }
   =>  { c'4 a c' e' { f' d' f' a' } }
but we would have to convert-ly existing \transpose to \absolute\transpose