Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 4387 in lilypond: Patch: Let \relative work on

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 4387 in lilypond: Patch: Let \relative work on \transpose content as if it were untransposed
Date: Wed, 13 May 2015 05:31:19 +0000

Comment #6 on issue 4387 by address@hidden: Patch: Let \relative work on \transpose content as if it were untransposed

  motif = { c4 e g c b a g a }
  \relative c' { \motif \transpose c g' \motif }

Well, that usage is plainly asking for trouble.  For a "motif", it does
not really make sense not to be in absolute mode already, whether by
 [i.e., A motif should be locked into absolute pitches by]
applying \relative, \absolute, or whatever, directly at the place of
assignment.

Yes, if by 'absolute mode' you mean note the mode of input, but the condition that the octaves have been fixed, that is, no longer subject to the effects of \relative {}.

The actual LilyPond input from mutopiaproject used the form
   \relative c' { \transpose c c' \motif   \transpose c g' \motif }

I did say that "It is a bit of an inconvenience that \relative skips over \transpose," but I was only thinking of the inconvenience of remembering an exception to its behavior (and of reading that point in the documentation every time I forgot how \relative worked). I cannot now imagine a case where having \relative work continuously through the contents of a \transpose would help anyone write music.

Regarding \dislayLilyMusic, I have used it only to transpose Lilypond input so I could re-work it to fit another instrument. Can you imagine any use where it would help to record the fact that the music was transposed ? In realistic cases the extra {} braces mark a transposed section.
\displayLilyMusic {c d e \transpose c d { c d e } }