Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 4387 in lilypond: Patch: Let \relative work on

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 4387 in lilypond: Patch: Let \relative work on \transpose content as if it were untransposed
Date: Tue, 12 May 2015 09:42:15 +0000

Comment #5 on issue 4387 by address@hidden: Patch: Let \relative work on \transpose content as if it were untransposed

address@hidden writes:

[...]

Well, that usage is plainly asking for trouble.  For a "motif", it does
not really make sense not to be in absolute mode already, whether by
applying \relative, \absolute, or whatever, directly at the place of
assignment.

One obvious reason is that one is unable to see at the point of use just
what effect something like \motif would have on the enclosing \relative
passage.

That's a general issue with \relative: it tends to work more predictably
when it is rather close to its actual use.  I think that a case may be
made to reset the reference pitch at every } or >> (namely change the
relative callbacks for sequential and simultanous music to return the
starting pitch rather than the ending pitch) but it would be a
compatibility nightmare.

I don't think that this change makes sense _without_ having some form of
\absolute x'' or whatever we may call it, and all \transpose by whole
octaves should be converted to _that_.

It may not be a perfect match with implied semantics for actually
octave-transposing instruments like a soprano recorder, but it would be
far better than having \absolute\transpose everywhere.

I can live with \absolute \transpose c bes, (or the other way round) in
connection with trumpets or other forms of "real" transposition.  But
for octave shifts, we should have a hermetic alternative before opening
up \transpose.

Well, one can always use (ly:music-property x 'element) or do the
transposition with (ly:music-transpose ...) (which does not create
TransposedMusic at all) or use

\displayLilyMusic \withMusicProperty transpose-delta #f \transpose ...

but in the end, all of those basically amount to "Ugh".

At any rate, \displayLilyMusic currently does not show TransposedMusic
at all.  I was idly wondering if it should just generally crank out
\transpose c c (or \transpose do do) for any kind of transposition,
never mind by how much.  At least it would reproduce the input.