[Lilypond-auto] Issue 4382 in lilypond: website: improve Manuals page

From: lilypond
Subject: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 4382 in lilypond: website: improve Manuals page
Date: Sun, 10 May 2015 10:41:15 +0000

Owner: ----
Labels: Type-Documentation

New issue 4382 by address@hidden: website: improve Manuals page

Report:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-lilypond/2015-04/msg00075.html

I took a few seconds to look at that page with critical eyes and found that
it could be improved a lot. As is, it's a kind of strict list which doesn't
really guide a new user through the manuals.

I wonder if Urs already started some work in this area, but I know he has
more compelling tasks at the moment.

Some thoughts:

1 - remove Regular use vs Infrequent use sections
2 - move FAQ and Video tutorials in the Introduction section, which could be
renamed to First steps or New users or Introduction for new users
3 - I'd rather use a conversational approach instead of unordered lists:
"Please be aware that LilyPond is a text-based(link) music engraver and
read the FAQ(link) before...". "You can see LilyPond in action in the
following video tutorials made by Ben Lemon... (a small iframe of youtube
video would be great). Then explain that the first manual to be read should
be Learning and Usage, followed by Notation.
4 - All other manuals are for regular or advanced users.
5 - I would put a list of all the manuals at the end (or on the right column)
and the Manual formats section could be an introduction to this list.

So a possible layout could be a 2 column page: on the left two sections
(New users, Advanced users) and on the right the manual list.

Comment by Carl on point 3:

I think that such an approach could be helpful.

But Notation shouldn't be "read".  It should only be referenced.  And I
think we should make that clear whenever we talk about it.