Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 4371 in lilypond: examples need explicit \rela

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 4371 in lilypond: examples need explicit \relative c'' {} to copy and paste correctly
Date: Tue, 05 May 2015 06:07:24 +0000

Comment #1 on issue 4371 by address@hidden: examples need explicit \relative c'' {} to copy and paste correctly

Well, \relative inside of \relative looks weird. But indeed, pasting \relative into a \relative passage will work perfectly. As opposed to leaving off the \relative invocation which will require adapting starting pitch and after-ending pitch.

Similarly with extra { } : it's clutter you'd usually remove when pasting. But there is no technical requirement for doing so and it is more likely that things will actually go wrong when removing in some context than if leaving them on.

So the rationale given here is mostly bogus. I'm not sure that this means that the conclusion does not have other justifications. But as a gut feeling, relative phrases without \relative specifier are maybe pitching a bit short.

Maybe we could use the rule "if you could get the same result by placing in some variant of \absolute, we may leave off"

So { c d f c } being short for { c'' d'' f'' c'' } would be acceptable while
{ c d g c, } as short for { c'' d'' g'' c'' } would not.