Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3229 in lilypond: Use \relative without explic

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3229 in lilypond: Use \relative without explicit starting pitch in the docs
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2015 17:11:15 +0000

Updates:
        Labels: -Type-Enhancement Type-Documentation

Comment #30 on issue 3229 by address@hidden: Use \relative without explicit starting pitch in the docs

Changed the summary title and issue type to reflect the remaining focus of the issue. It would likely be comparatively easy to resuscitate the last version of python/convert-rules.py in this patch and combine it with the somewhat better language detection I seem to remember having placed in released python/convertrules.py versions doing only the \relative -> \relative c' part of getting old sources with different default argument convention up to scratch.

The Frescobaldi adoption of this change is of course independent from making the lion's share of LilyPond's docs and examples omit an explicit reference pitch.

The script makes a massive amount of changes, and it would be good to at least glance over the resulting diffs.

When this was first proposed, the consensus was more or less to take a break and see whether people would tend to adopt this in the field.

If I do
git grep -l '\\relative {'|wc -l
in the current Mutopia repository, I see 53 files with this convention. Except that if I grep in that file list for '\\version' it turns out that there is a single version older than 2.16. It does not get more convincing considering that it's a file submitted by a certain David Kastrup.

Now Mutopia is not necessarily representative, but if I grep for _other_ files containing a version of 2.18 or more, I get 663 files. So the majority of submissions are with explicit starting pitch.

The submission guidelines on the Mutopia page do not appear to suggest any particular use of \relative, so we can't blame them either.

For Frescobaldi, however, I consider this a reasonable _default_ conversion to \relative since it avoids asking questions. And if it _does_ ask questions, just typing return in response should likely crank out \relative { ... behavior.