[Lilypond-auto] Issue 4326 in lilypond: Enhancement: simplify accepting

From: lilypond
Subject: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 4326 in lilypond: Enhancement: simplify accepting a new custom context like an existing context
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2015 17:40:10 +0000

Owner: ----
Labels: Type-Enhancement

New issue 4326 by address@hidden: Enhancement: simplify accepting a new custom context like an existing context

From Paul Morris:

Use \alias for determining what contexts accept other contexts (and not just
for allowing commands accepted in one context to be used in another context).

Jim Long:

“...it would be nice, if it is practical, for "Higher" contexts to decide to
accept "Lower" contexts based on context name (\ChordNames) as well as on alias
(\alias ChordNames).

A would accept C because A accepts B, and C is explicitly
declared as an alias of B.  Therefore, A would accept B and all
aliases of B.”

Paul Morris:

"Most of the time if we want commands that work in X to work in Y (by using
\alias X), we also want Y to be accepted wherever X is accepted.

So when Z is determining whether to accept a new context Y... have it first
check Y's name, and if the name is unknown (not in its "accepts" list) then
have it check Y's alias (\alias X). If the alias X is in the "accepts" list,
then Z would accept Y.

In rare cases where we didn't want these things coupled (where we wanted
commands from X to work in Y, but we didn't want Y to be accepted wherever X is
accepted), then we could use \denies and \accepts to define exactly where we
want Y to be accepted or denied.

This would really simplify the process of creating custom contexts, especially
in the common case of wanting a modified version of an existing context that
works everywhere it does.”

See full discussion thread here:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2015-02/msg00684.html