Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 4317 in lilypond: Patch: Add support for unico

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 4317 in lilypond: Patch: Add support for unicode filenames on Windows
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2015 15:52:20 +0000

Comment #5 on issue 4317 by address@hidden: Patch: Add support for unicode filenames on Windows

I'd like to wait while watching GUILEv2 migration.

Well, everyone does.

Now, I read current GUILE's Git HEAD sources.
For the moment, it doesn't support the unicode filenames on Windows.

On Windows, open() can't handle unicode filenames.

So, I propose another solution that does not depend on the GUILE.
It's the method to process all open() and unlink() etc. by C++, not by GUILE.

Well, I propose exactly the opposite solution (or actually "strategy"): process all open() and unlink() etc. by GUILE, not C++.

In GUILEv2, strings are Unicode strings. When the respective Scheme functions for open/unlink etc do not process their arguments as Unicode strings, that is a bug. This bug needs to be reported and get fixed rather than worked around.

It is a problem that every application using GUILE will encounter. Fixing it in GUILE is the only way that makes sense. If the matter were of utmost urgency, we could create a patch for the Windows version of GUILE we compile in GUB and use that patch until a fix appears in GUILE.

I consider it likely that if one reports the GUILE problem now, particularly if accompanied by proposals of how to solve it, a version of GUILE where this has been fixed will be available by the time we are ready for GUILEv2 migration.

Even if not, we can still patch up GUILEv2 in GUB ourselves. So I think that the right solution should be using GUILE for everything.