Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 4278 in lilypond: Patch: Allow independent adj

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 4278 in lilypond: Patch: Allow independent adjustment of minimum length for spanner siblings
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2015 19:44:29 +0000

Comment #5 on issue 4278 by address@hidden: Patch: Allow independent adjustment of minimum length for spanner siblings

The new patch set fixes an issue with the calculation of a rod's width which appears in situations with ties involving offset noteheads, as for example in <c' d' g'>~ <c' d' g'>.

The complication arises because the callback for springs-and-rods reuses the same rod when dealing with breakable columns to the left and right, resetting data members as needed. This should present no problems. However, the manner of resetting the width of the rod is _incremental_: when Rod::add-to-columns () is called on the left, it can modify the rod's width from minimum-distance (as in the example with notes to either side of a stem in chords); this changed value is then used by Rod::add-to-columns () for the right side.

I cannot say whether this behavior of the original code is proper. Perhaps there is a flaw there caused by incautious reuse of the same rod. Perhaps a fresh rod should be used whenever a rod needs to be added. (Note: doing that will have an impact on spacing after the break. It will give more a note-head's more space to the tie after the break.)

The new patch produces results in harmony with the original code. I'd suggest that the problem I've described above be dealt with as a separate issue.