Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 4264 in lilypond: easier input for parts that

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 4264 in lilypond: easier input for parts that change instrument-transpositions
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2015 20:29:30 +0000

Comment #1 on issue 4264 by address@hidden: easier input for parts that change instrument-transpositions

Some approaches are
1) music functions \transposeToConcertPitch and \transposeToInstrumentPitch that selectively transpose on \transposition settings in the music.. This is simple if the \transposition marks are in sequence with the notes, a bit harder if combined by <<>> as above. To handle the general case, where the function is applied to the entire score, would require emulating the iteration and assignment of transpositions to contexts.

2) adding an engraver as Jan-Peter does <https://github.com/openlilylib/openlilylib/tree/master/editorial-tools/auto-transpose> to alters the pitches based on the 'given/engraveConcertPitch' flags before the other engravers have a chance to see them. This depends on the input order <<\arrangement\clarinetConcertPitch>> not <<\clarinetConcertPitch\arrangement>>

3) teaching the few engravers and performers that handle pitched events to use the given/engraveConcertPitch flags.

The first question is whether more flexibility makes input less confusing, or more. The current system is simple: we give the Staff the pitches that we want to see printed. More flexibility in this area, however, takes a mental load off the user. I think this flexibility would help.

Key-signatures could be generated automatically upon transposition changes if engraveConcertPitch is false, but instruments like horns don't always use key-signatures, and composers sometimes omit logically-required key change if the use of the instrument is brief. We could ask the user to \key\default upon changing \transposition where a key-signature is appropriate.