Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 2253 in lilypond: Markup in separate voices in

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 2253 in lilypond: Markup in separate voices in \partcombine results in "stacked" markup.
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2015 08:41:24 +0000

Comment #4 on issue 2253 by address@hidden: Markup in separate voices in \partcombine results in "stacked" markup.

If the content is identical but the direction differs, are they mergeable?
I'm not sure about cases where direction is explicitly set differently. But when direction is not specified I'd say that they should in general be mergeable.

Does merging mean showing one and omitting the other, or something more complicated?
Is "omitting" removing the visual representation? Of course merging should *not* change the structure. Well, with markups there isn't anything beyond the visual, but see below.

Are there other ways besides partcombine that two markups might end up in the same place at the same time and need to be merged?
Hm, difficult question. I think identical markups can happen with regular parallel music, i.e. << \musicOne \musicTwo >>. Whether this should be automatically mergeable? Can't say.

Are there things other than markups that should also be considered?
Yes, definitely: Dynamics. When parts are merged unisono or as chords duplicate dynamics are merged to one, but when music is merged "apart" identical dynamics are printed twice, above and below. In general this is extremely undesirable.