Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 4076 in lilypond: allow bn for B-natural in En

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 4076 in lilypond: allow bn for B-natural in English
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2014 20:24:52 +0000

Comment #40 on issue 4076 by address@hidden: allow bn for B-natural in English

The last posted patch is the one that adds \language"abbreviated"

Written English consistently uses -natural when the natural is noteworthy,
<http://archive.org/stream/wellknownpianoso00wilkuoft/wellknownpianoso00wilkuoft_djvu.txt>
while keeping all -sharp or -flat modifiers, so it seems to me that the standard English naming pattern is explicit enough for LilyPond and 'bn' could be allowed in \language"english" with no problem.

I said on -user, however, that I wouldn't change "english", so I don't want to go back to the first approach on this issue without first explaining there.

The reasoning seemed to be that some people benefit from an error message on 'bn'
<http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2014-08/msg00399.html>

Personally, I think you did not pick the best example reply.

Well, I didn't really understand the "no" replies. Was there a better reply from an english-user?