Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 4213 in lilypond: Patch: Context: prevent dang

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 4213 in lilypond: Patch: Context: prevent dangling references in child contexts when the daddy is destroyed
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2014 10:33:15 +0000

Comment #9 on issue 4213 by address@hidden: Patch: Context: prevent dangling references in child contexts when the daddy is destroyed

Ok, I've thought some more: if contexts protect their parents (because property stacking/updating requires it) and contexts protect their children (because they are still accessible and one might refer to their properties), then basically when the life time of a context ends, we should dissolve its hierarchy when its lifetime ends (and I think that the normal way of disconnecting a context does this). At the time the context no longer knows its parents, its properties can no longer be updated and/or accessed.

So it might make sense clearing the context's property lists when it is removed from the context hierarchies. The only possibly exempt context might be the Global context (which never had a parent to start with and the properties of which do not depend on other properties). If we do that, we might get to see a few use cases and/or programming errors (like the one you allude to) relying on the properties of dead contexts.