Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 4151 in lilypond: implicitTimeSignatureVisibil

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 4151 in lilypond: implicitTimeSignatureVisibility
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2014 12:38:19 +0000

Comment #9 on issue 4151 by address@hidden: implicitTimeSignatureVisibility

This commit is now causing me a real headache because it was all folded into a single commit. Please, folks, _always_ do

"Run scripts/auxiliar/update-with-convert-ly"

as a _separate_ commit. That may require turning the set of changes into a merge commit from a branch with several commits so that all commits in the main development line remain compilable.

Why is this important?

Because otherwise it becomes impossible to do more than a single syntax-changing commit per version. We are currently at version 2.19.16. I have an issue needing another convert-ly rule, so I add it to the existing rule and then I have to _rerun_ the conversion, reconverting all the previously converted files again.

This is done by first committing the convert-ly rule changing commit, then running

git revert -n commit-id-of-previous-convert-ly-run
scripts/auxiliar/update-with-convert-ly.sh
git commit -m "Rerun scripts/auxiliar/update-with-convert-ly.sh" -a

That way, I get the full conversion for all files previously converted to 2.19.16 syntax. Not having the convert-ly run as a separate commit makes for a much more error-prone procedure with lots of manual conflict resolution because I have to revert the full commit (which is not revertible without conflict resolution because it touches the same 2.19.16 convert-ly rule), and then merge the version without that revert in order to get the manual changes back, again causing conflict resolution. Very messy.