Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 4191 in lilypond: Patch: Add an "\or" markup c

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 4191 in lilypond: Patch: Add an "\or" markup command
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2014 14:58:54 +0000

Comment #19 on issue 4191 by address@hidden: Patch: Add an "\or" markup command

Well, \null is not all that visible, but it's not like I have better suggestions. It seems to lead to misunderstandings though:

    \choose-visible might be useful before joining markups with a separator.

If we are talking about "joining markups with a separator", _empty_ stencils have to be removed _anyway_ because they don't have tangible dimensions (as opposed to point-stencil, for example). IIRC, we have the following correspondences:

"" -> empty-stencil, dimensions (+inf,-inf) (+inf,-inf), namely empty-interval
\null -> point-stencil, dimensions (0,0) (0,0)

which is fabulously intuitive once you start working with stencils. We would not want to have things get too easy. \null/point-stencil do not produce anything visible, but you can space it, attach things to it, put separators before and behind it. It does not count as an empty stencil, though. An empty stencil is not just invisible but unhandable and unstackable. So anything that stacks stencils with delimiters in between needs to throw away empty stencils anyway.

A special case are stencils with only one axis having empty dimensions. If you stack those in the direction of emptiness, they should likely not count in the direction of stacking but may affect the dimensions in the non-empty direction (it may be that the stacking primitives don't follow this "correct" behavior). And stacking in the direction of non-emptiness causes spacing but does not affect the resulting bounding box of the stacked material in non-stacking axis direction.