Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 4089 in lilypond: NR: Add better indication th

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 4089 in lilypond: NR: Add better indication that the automatic lilypond 'footer' string is known as a 'tagline'
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2014 15:36:25 +0000

Comment #6 on issue 4089 by tdanielsmusic: NR: Add better indication that the automatic lilypond 'footer' string is known as a 'tagline'

Good question. Never used these myself, but a quick experiment shows the oddFooterMarkup _replaces_ the copyright line on the first page, and it replaces the tagline on the last page if there are an odd number of pages, or if evenFooterMarkup is not defined. If just evenFooterMarkup is defined the tagline is replaced if there are an even number of pages.

There are differences: footers are defined in \paper and copyright and tagline in \header, and both copyright and tagline appear if there is only one page and no footers. Since \header fields can be picked up in \paper, the copyright and tagline fields can be easily incorporated and expanded in footers.

I'm tempted to think all we need to do is add the missing index entries for footers and expand their description a little to give their relationship with copyright and tagline. Possibly these could be renamed firstFooter and lastFooter, but that's a rather larger change with a big effect on existing scores, and I'm not really in favour of that now I understand how footers work. All the OP required was a footer, and they exist: it just needs indexing.