Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3286 in lilypond: Display 4/2 time as allabrev

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3286 in lilypond: Display 4/2 time as allabreve
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2014 20:45:16 +0000

Comment #5 on issue 3286 by address@hidden: Display 4/2 time as allabreve

On 25/10/14 19:15, Dan Eble wrote:> Simon (and all),

Regarding the request to display 4/2 as cut-c by default, https://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=3286

I think it would make sense to extend the default style to offer a simple way to get the doubled symbols:
     2/1 -> double cut-c (Schubert op. 90 no. 3)
     4/2 -> double c (my obscure hymnal)

You mentioned that you would be satisfied if there were a different style for your alla breve case. Do you really need a style or is the following good enough?

timeAllaBreve = {
   \once \override Staff.TimeSignature.stencil =
   #(lambda (grob)
      (grob-interpret-markup grob
       #{ \markup \musicglyph #"timesig.C22" #}))
   \time 2/1
}

Another thing that occurs to me is a possible parallel with non-numeric tempo. When the single cut-c symbol is used to indicate 2/1, does it need to be annotated with text? If so, would something like \time "alla breve" 2/1 be any better than the way it has to be done now?

Another potential use for that is \time "swing" 4/4.

Regards,
--
Dan