Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 461 in lilypond: LilyPond should accept a tie

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 461 in lilypond: LilyPond should accept a tie between notes which are enharmonically identical
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2014 14:02:23 +0000

Updates:
        Blockedon: -lilypond:3066

Comment #22 on issue 461 by address@hidden: LilyPond should accept a tie between notes which are enharmonically identical

@Simon: the tie code is not really prepared for ties with different anchors left and right. Indeed, the positioning seems worse than necessary. Unfortunately, in the chord situation, a whole lot of ties seem worse than necessary: it is likely that there are bugs in the code. Picking all that apart is a non-trivial feat. I think that we will be better equipped to experiment with it when this code is in.

At the current point of time it is rather hard to pick apart formatting problems from code unprepared for the specific not-at-the-same-height situation this patch makes possible from preexisting formatting problems.

I doubt that I'll be able to finish cleaning everything up (and telling apart old and new problems) when I am the only one looking at this kind of thing in a branch.

This patch should not really affect previously valid code since the search for enharmonic ties is made in a second pass. The only conceivable difference I see is in connection with tieWaitForNote when a tie may wait for a shorter duration in case an enharmonic tie completion occurs before a "proper" tie completion.

I think we can reasonably safely declare that case as unimportant. Nevertheless, this patch will definitely cause followup issues before one will even want to announce this as a working feature.

On the plus side, I think the Midi will likely work well. And the Layout side at least generates tweakable output.