[Lilypond-auto] Issue 4167 in lilypond: Tie placement problem

From: lilypond
Subject: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 4167 in lilypond: Tie placement problem
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2014 15:11:48 +0000

Owner: ----
Labels: Type-Defect

New issue 4167 by address@hidden: Tie placement problem

Abraham Lee wrote :

While scoring a song, I noticed a rather poor tie placement in a chord. Here's the code:

\version "2.18.2"

music = \relative c'{
 \key aes \major
 \time 2/2
 \numericTimeSignature
 \partial 2 g'4 ( f ) |
 bes'2. ees,4 |
 <des ees-\tweak color #red ~ aes~>1_( |
 <c ees aes>2. ) \bar "|."
}

\paper {
 paper-width = 7\in
 ragged-last = ##f
 indent = 0
}
\header {
 tagline = ##f
}

\markup "\voiceOne, ragged-last=##f, bad tie placement"
\score {
 { \voiceOne \music }
}

\markup "\voiceOne, ragged-last=##t, normal voiced tie placement"
\score {
 \layout {
   ragged-last = ##t
 }
 { \voiceOne \music }
}

\markup "(default voice), ragged-last=##f, normal non-voiced tie placement"
\score {
 { \music }
}

See the attached file for a picture of the above issue (bad tie indicated in red). 1. In the first system, and in my song, all the notes need to be \voiceOne. The default placement of the ties is "up", but the placement is horrid on the ees in the last two measures. If I manually flip it down, then it looks great (which I've gone with). This appears to be an issue with the length of the system because ... (see #2).

2. When I shorten the system (i.e., ragged-last = ##f), then the default, voiced tie placement is as I would expect it.

3. When I make the system be the same length as the original, and either manually switch the direction or remove the explicit \voiceOne, then the downward tie also places perfectly.

4. (Not shown) If you extend the paper-width to be something like 10\in, then the default, voiced tie is once again placed correctly (but not at 9.99\in).

I guess all I'm saying is that from paper-width of 5.8\in to 9.99\in, and forcing everything into \voiceOne, the ties are placed incorrectly than outside that range. Any ideas what's causing it?

Attachments:
        bad-tie-placement.png  50.0 KB