Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 4155 in lilypond: Patch: Add original-breaks.l

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 4155 in lilypond: Patch: Add original-breaks.ly commands
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2014 08:22:17 +0000

Comment #10 on issue 4155 by address@hidden: Patch: Add original-breaks.ly commands

You're right that I'm only moderately enthusiastic. While I generally agree that the effort of #4160 is a good enhancement to LilyPond, it doesn't really help me with my ideas. Having that in place I would *still* need external library code to be present. That means: when I want to use such a switch for example as a Layout Option in Frescobaldi I would have to rely on a library being present. And if that's the case I don't need your patch at all because in such a library I could define anything that I need anyway.

The same is true for your idea of including-lists. I think this would also be very good to have but wouldn't help me currently.

Actually my patch wouldn't ask for any core change. And in fact it is done like a LaTeX package in that it's in a separate file that is only used if explicitly \include-d.

The point is that I would really like to have the original-break commands available to LilyPond users without relying on external code or on defining custom commands. My preference would be to have them immediately available as built-in commands, but having the file ready to be included (as in my patch) would be acceptable too.

To comment on your LaTeX comparison: Yes, I think such an extension wouldn't go into the core files, but I would expect it to be present in a standard distribution so people (usually) wouldn't have to install such a package separately but can simply do \usepackage[line,page]{keepOriginalBreaks}. That way I could use such commands in a document, share it and assume others can use it too, without asking them to install separate libraries.

I am still convinced that offering that functionality (particularly if tools like Frescobaldi make it very easily accessible) would be a great enhancement to LilyPond in general. I can imagine very well how MakeMusic's marketing department would shout that "with Finale you can switch between our optimized and the original page and line breaking". I see three general ways to create scores with LilyPond: copying existing music, writing directly (just as if you'd write with a pencil) or generating it programmatically. Copying existing music is definitely a major mode of working with LilyPond, and having the original breaks available is a tremenduous help once the music exceeds a few systems.

One thing I would consider changing in my patch is combining it automatically so that when original line breaks are active it would set it to *only* allow these line breaks.