Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 2877 in lilypond: articulate.ly: documentation

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 2877 in lilypond: articulate.ly: documentation issues and incorrect rendering of grace notes
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2014 08:34:43 +0000

Comment #17 on issue 2877 by address@hidden: articulate.ly: documentation issues and incorrect rendering of grace notes

Doc: NR section 3.5.x MIDI file creation tidy up

Issue 2877

This issue is specific to the articulate.ly
documentation but I feel we're constantly
updating a 'messy' chapter that doesn't really
follow many of the CG guidelines and could
be better organized.

So this is an attempt to tidy up. Apart from
some @cindex or @seealso references no new
information has been added and nothing
technical has been removed but some of it
has been moved around so that it is grouped
more logically.

I realise this is a big patch and I did
try to figure out how to make it in smaller
bite-size chunks but it would have been
hard to keep it coherent while undergoing
the change (and is probably why no one has
really tackled this section to tidy it up).

In the end after some editing I just decided
to carry on a complete the chapter as a whole.

Some snippets have been created from the
main text as they were inappropriate for the
NR and the Articulate script now contains
some additional comments based on previously
added NR @knownissues that were just a list
of things that the script didn't support and
which I felt were better *in* the articulate
file itself.

The @lilypond examples have been simplified
and turned into @examples instead as the
engraving output is largely irrelevant
in a section about MIDI; it also saves a lot
of space.

There is a longer introduction and the sections
have been organized in such a way that it starts
with how to create MIDI files with the default
empty MIDI block, then explains how to use
repeats and multiple voicces in MIDI (again
still with no MIDI block modifications).
The next subsection then moves to enhancing
the MIDI output by adding Instruments and then
talks about setting MIDI block properties
finally moving onto the Articulate script.

The last part of the chapter then talks about
Dynamics and Volume - it seemed more sensible
to group those two together and as some of the
volume settings are more complex they are at
the end of the chapter.

http://codereview.appspot.com/120480043