[Lilypond-auto] Issue 4078 in lilypond: Improve syntax for specifying in

From: lilypond
Subject: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 4078 in lilypond: Improve syntax for specifying instrument definitions
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2014 10:50:04 +0000

Owner: ----
Labels: Type-Enhancement

New issue 4078 by tdanielsmusic: Improve syntax for specifying instrument definitions

In issue 4075, David wrote:

Frankly, I think that this facility should be redone. It would be trivial to reimplement switchInstrument [actually instrumentSwitch] such that it would also accept
instrument-definitions.kaspar =
\with {
  \transposition c
  \clef "G_8"
  shortInstrumentName = "Kas."
  instrumentCueName = \markup \fontsize #1 \smallCaps "Kaspar"
  midiInstrument = "voice oohs"
}
in lieu of
\addInstrumentDefinition #"kaspar"
  #`((instrumentTransposition . ,(ly:make-pitch -1 0 0))
     (shortInstrumentName . "Kas.")
     (clefGlyph . "clefs.G")
     (clefTransposition . -7)
     (middleCPosition . 1)
     (clefPosition . -2)
     (instrumentCueName . ,(markup #:fontsize 1 #:smallCaps "Kaspar"))
     (midiInstrument . "voice oohs"))

and I think the latter, due to its proliferation of magic numbers, unduly promotes the belief in magic incantations passed down from one generation of score writers to the next.