Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 4075 in lilypond: instrumentTransposition is i

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 4075 in lilypond: instrumentTransposition is incorrectly set in NR 2.1.6
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2014 08:41:31 +0000

Comment #4 on issue 4075 by address@hidden: instrumentTransposition is incorrectly set in NR 2.1.6

The transposition would actually be accurate if we were talking about an unmodified tenor clef and that is how I interpreted the code at first reading. Only looking at the images was I able to spot my mistake. The combination of clefGlyph, clefTransposition, middleCPosition, clefPosition is actually pretty inscrutable.

Frankly, I think that this facility should be redone. It would be trivial to reimplement switchInstrument such that it would also accept
instrument-definitions.kaspar =
\with {
  \transposition c
  \clef "G_8"
  shortInstrumentName = "Kas."
  instrumentCueName = \markup \fontsize #1 \smallCaps "Kaspar"
  midiInstrument = "voice oohs"
}
in lieu of
\addInstrumentDefinition #"kaspar"
  #`((instrumentTransposition . ,(ly:make-pitch -1 0 0))
     (shortInstrumentName . "Kas.")
     (clefGlyph . "clefs.G")
     (clefTransposition . -7)
     (middleCPosition . 1)
     (clefPosition . -2)
     (instrumentCueName . ,(markup #:fontsize 1 #:smallCaps "Kaspar"))
     (midiInstrument . "voice oohs"))

and I think the latter, due to its proliferation of magic numbers, unduly promotes the belief in magic incantations passed down from one generation of score writers to the next.

Regarding patch processing: issue and patch are valid. I just wish there would not have been an opportunity to get things wrong in the first place.