[Lilypond-auto] Issue 4064 in lilypond: Bad example for \notemode in Doc

From: lilypond
Subject: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 4064 in lilypond: Bad example for \notemode in Documentation/notation/changing-defaults.itely
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2014 09:46:38 +0000

Owner: ----
CC: tdanielsmusic
Labels: Type-Documentation

New issue 4064 by address@hidden: Bad example for \notemode in Documentation/notation/changing-defaults.itely

Apparently stemming from
commit c6c11a2e6464b128f54c4c29782c8c8fb37f489b
Author: Trevor Daniels <address@hidden>
Date:   Mon May 19 16:19:49 2008 +0100

    GDP: NR 3.1 and 3.2.1 first pass

(which seems to be too long ago for me to find it in the tracker), we have the following information:

    For example, to indicate dynamic markings for the verses of a
    choral pieces it is necessary to enter note mode to interpret
    the markings:

    @lilypond[verbatim,relative=2,quote]
    { c4 c4 c4 c4 }
    \addlyrics {
      \notemode{\set stanza = \markup{ \dynamic f 1. } }
      To be sung loudly
    }
    \addlyrics {
      \notemode{\set stanza = \markup{ \dynamic p 2. } }
      To be sung quietly
    }
    @end lilypond

This information is wrong: removing \notemode and the corresponding
matching brace pairs will work perfectly fine.  The manual entry was
written for versionĀ 2.11.38.  While I don't really remember the
respective versions accurately, I still doubt that the advice was
correct even at the time it was written.

Note that it might have been required to write

    \set Lyrics . stanza

rather than

    \set Lyrics.stanza

until shortly before 2.18.0, and that \set stanza=... without space
before the equals sign would not work in \lyricmode even now.

But as it is written, the \notemode in the example was likely
unnecessary even in 2.11.38.

It turns out that this (and translations and convert-ly rules and
definition) is the only remaining occurence of \notemode in the code
base.  Which means that we managed to stop _requiring_ it for pretty
much all use cases (convert-ly removes a last usage pattern in
versionĀ 2.17.27).

A true use of \notemode would be if one inserted something like
\notemode { <>\p } into the lyrics.  However, the kind of context
modifications required to make those dynamics actually appear in the
lyrics in a reasonably placed manner clearly don't make for a
straightforward example.

Can't think of a good one right now.