[Lilypond-auto] Issue 4052 in lilypond: Document more details on Staff G

From: lilypond
Subject: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 4052 in lilypond: Document more details on Staff Group Hierarchy
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2014 05:58:06 +0000

Owner: ----
Labels: Type-Documentation

New issue 4052 by address@hidden: Document more details on Staff Group Hierarchy

On 04/08/14 17:39, Richard Shann wrote:> On Mon, 2014-08-04 at 08:40 -0700, tisimst wrote:
On Mon, Aug 4, 2014 at 9:26 AM, David Kastrup [via Lilypond] <[hidden
email]> wrote:
Richard Shann <[hidden email]> writes:

The documentation says that staff groups can be nested, but many
don't
appear to work, e.g. this

\version "2.18.0"
\score {
         <<
              \new GrandStaff <<
                                 \new Staff { s1*4/4 }
                                  \new ChoirStaff <<
                                                     \new Staff
{ s1*4/4 }
                                                     \new Staff
{ s1*4/4 }
                                                     \new Staff
{ s1*4/4 }

     }

has no GrandStaff.
Is something missing at

http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/notation/displaying-staves
and can anyone explain the rules (I am trying to write a staff
braces
checker ...)
#(for-each
   (lambda (cd)
    (format #t "~a can accept: ~{~a~^, ~}\n" (car cd)
     (or (ly:context-def-lookup (cdr cd) 'accepts))))
   (ly:output-find-context-def #{ \layout { } #}))

--
David Kastrup

NAML

David,

Nice solution!

Richard,

If you'd like to know what the default nesting hierarchy is, you can
refer to "engraver-init.ly", which shows this heirarchy of the
different contexts that support nesting (recursion removed for
simplicity):

Score accepts...
|- GrandStaff

|- StaffGroup accepts...
|   |- GrandStaff
|   |- PianoStaff
|   |- ChoirStaff
|   |- StaffGroup

|- ChoirStaff accepts...
     |- GrandStaff
     |- PianoStaff
     |- StaffGroup

Perhaps the following could be added to the Nested Staff Groups section
of the page
http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/notation/displaying-staves

"By default Piano Staff, Grand Staff and Staff Group can be nested
inside a Choir Staff and any of these can be nested inside a Staff
Group."
perhaps immediately before the sentence "New nested staff group contexts
can be defined."
Thanks for the clarifications, I see what I can reasonably check now.

Richard