Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 4005 in lilypond: Patch: Set X-parent of TextS

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 4005 in lilypond: Patch: Set X-parent of TextScript to NoteColumn instead of PaperColumn
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2014 09:16:57 +0000

Comment #12 on issue 4005 by address@hidden: Patch: Set X-parent of TextScript to NoteColumn instead of PaperColumn

Well, I've played around a bit with
$@(append-map
   (lambda (ev)
     (map (lambda (ass)
            #{
              <<
\new Staff = "high" { \time 4/2 \key fis\major \repeat volta 2 $ev c'2 b a1 }
              \new Lyrics \with $ass
              \lyricmode { \times 2/3 { In2 splen4 -- do4. -- ri8 -- bus sanct
--
                                            o2. -- rum. } A2-- _ __  men. }

              #})
          (list #{ \with {} #} #{ \with { associatedVoice = "high" } #})))
   (list #{ cis'\breve #} #{ r\breve #} #{ R\breve #} #{ s\breve #}))

In general, the alignment appears a bit more satisfactory, in particular not overrunning the repeat bar. However, line 2 is ridiculous (basically a cis'\breve with an associatedVoice pointing to it). That's not an actual showstopper for this patch as line 2 is exactly as ridiculous before the patch. But it seems like something worth thinking about.

As another note: I don't like warning message. It is both too verbose and too technical. A user will have no idea whatsoever what a PaperColumn is, and I don't think there is a sensible way to figure out from the docs.

This is now
gaga.ly:8:41: warning: Aligning lyric syllables to notes was requested, but there are no notes in the specified context. Syllable will be attached to a PaperColumn instead.
              \lyricmode { \times 2/3 {
In2 splen4 -- do4. -- ri8 -- bus sanct --

and previously it was
/tmp/gaga.ly:8:41: warning: Lyric syllable does not have note. Use \lyricsto or associatedVoice.
              \lyricmode { \times 2/3 {
In2 splen4 -- do4. -- ri8 -- bus sanct --

Now the previous warning also was obviously ludicrous because it comes about _exactly_ when using \lyricsto or associatedVoice.

If we warn, something like "no note to associate with this syllable" should be sufficient.