Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 4012 in lilypond: Strange collision avoidance

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 4012 in lilypond: Strange collision avoidance with multiple voices
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2014 04:30:07 +0000

Comment #2 on issue 4012 by address@hidden: Strange collision avoidance with multiple voices

Rests do move based on Rest.direction if it is set, since issue 1410, although their direction of collision avoidance falls-back to Stem.direction if Rest.direction is not set. The Stem.direction rest in the central voice is the same as that for a note on center-line, which is down. The rest is trying to make it clear that it not in the same voice as the low D, which would have worked if the other notes in its voice were below that D.

The music above, of course, should use \voiceOne for the upper voice.

I think Rest.direction==CENTER is not distinguished from an un-set direction, so to give it the desired meaning (merge rests) we would have to create that distinction, or stop falling-back to use the Stem.direction. Probably Rests should not reference the stem-direction anyway, issue 1625.