Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3960 in lilypond: NR 4.3.7 - explict breaks ne

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3960 in lilypond: NR 4.3.7 - explict breaks needs better example for iine/page-break-permission
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2014 16:01:17 +0000

Comment #1 on issue 3960 by address@hidden: NR 4.3.7 - explict breaks needs better example for iine/page-break-permission

Trevor Daniels
Feb 25, 2014; 11:19am
Re: Docs: example for line-break-permission and page-break-permission
2804 posts

James wrote Tuesday, February 25, 2014 5:58 AM

On 24/02/14 21:18, Paul Morris wrote:
The example given here:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/notation/explicit-breaks

While not addressing your suggestion directly, but being one of the few
doc editors I am not sure this part of the Notation Reference has been
'touched' for a while - certainly since I started helping (back in 2011)
and when we have since had many spacing/break code improvement changes -
I seem to recall that we were on 2.12 back then.

Probably not; I've never edited this section AFAIR.

This whole document section doesn't follow standard policy; again, not
that that casts any aspersions on your email but just using the term
'Lily' instead of LilyPond, and seeing no useful TexInfo references to
other, related the parts of the documentation (this is more of a
editorial discussion than anything for me).

If you're thinking of working on this page it would be good to tidy it
up a little (as a separate commit of course).

However, I'm not sure that the change proposed by Paul is correct.
I think the current wording is correct.

Try this, and you'll see the long line runs off the right side of the page.
No line break is inserted to prevent it; only the manual ones are actioned.

\paper {
  indent = #0
  ragged-right = ##t
  ragged-bottom = ##t
}

music = \relative c'' { c8 c c c }

\score {
  \new Staff {
    \repeat unfold 4 { \music } \break
    \repeat unfold 20 { \music } \break
    \repeat unfold 4 { \music } \break
  }
  \layout {
    \context {
      \Score
      \override NonMusicalPaperColumn.line-break-permission = ##f
      \override NonMusicalPaperColumn.page-break-permission = ##f
    }
  }
}

While examples are helpful of course I am wondering if we could better
explain some of these functions/commands than having to 'waste' pages of
webspace and documentation with literal (and verbatim) \pageBreak examples?

Trevor do you see what I mean?

Yes.  I'd remove the pagebreak from this example (since its effect is not
clear in the docs anyway); use a smaller example showing a line break being
inserted and being suppressed; and simply say page-break-permission
works the same way.  I'd also give the music variable a full bar of notes
rather than half a bar so the repeat counts correspond with the number
of bars in the lines.

I've not really looked at the other examples, but if you want to propose
changes please do it one example at a time.

Trevor