Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 2249 in lilypond: ledger lines of pitched rest

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 2249 in lilypond: ledger lines of pitched rests are verticaly misplaced
Date: Sun, 01 Jun 2014 11:15:16 +0000

Updates:

Comment #16 on issue 2249 by address@hidden: ledger lines of pitched rests are verticaly misplaced

Some further evidence. Firstly, an image from LilyPond with double stemmed input. The ledger line on the minim rest which sits between the other ledger lines looks plain weird to me. This is the only case I have ever seen where ledger lines sit in the space of other ledger lines. To be honest, I don't really care what the style guides say, I don't think this should happen.

But anyway: to the style guides. The example from comment 11 isn't described exactly: Keith says is sits halfway between ledgers. Not quite: see the second image. I'd describe it as randomly dropped on the page, and therefore not a great example to follow.

Finally, Gould. In text, she says "The rest moves up or down within the stave when a beam joins notes across a rest and in double-stemmed writing (see pp. 36-7). From the centre of the stave, rests move an exact number of stave-spaces up or down, so that they remain correctly positioned in relation to the stave-lines". The example she gives is with rests in the stave, rather than outside, but I see no reason why the rule of moving exact numbers of stave spaces should be broken outside the stave.

She also gives a snippet of music with rests outside the stave. In this case she lines up ledger lines where the rest is near other music/ledgers, and fails to do so where the rests is a way outside the note (I realise this is counter to my argument: I'm being even-handed here.)

My summary: where rests have ledger lines near other ledger lines, they must line up. The most appropriate way to do this is to ensure that rests always move by integral stave spaces, even outside the stave.

Attachments:
        RestPos5.png  5.2 KB
        Ross2249.png  1.9 KB
        Gould2249.png  21.3 KB